Sunday, March 1, 2015

forward...launCH!

As announced on Friday, I'm embarking tomorrow on a birthday month poetry challenge inspired by fellow Piscean Laura Shovan's February Poetry Projects (if you haven't, check out three years' worth here, here and here).

I got to thinking about the word "MARCH"  and all the other great words that end in -CH.  I realized that I have a particular fondness for words that end in -ch; they show up in my poems again and again.  So I'll be stretCHing myself to post five -CH poems weekly throughout March.  I'm allowed one previously published per week, but most will be brand-new.

Please join me in this CHallenge, poetry friends!  If you can't write with me every day, maybe you'll share your one or two per week, or your five-in-a-row, or your favorite poem by another author including the -CH word of the day....I welcome your participation, however you choose to do it!

I'll post my poem each evening, and you can send me yours by email or by leaving it in the comments for that post.  I'll round up as we go and on Sunday mornings, and at the end of the month there will be a PRIZE for the "StretCHiest MarCHer" who contributes the most poems!

To get us started, here's a poem from my first book, Squeeze: Poems from a Juicy Universe (2005).  I'm hoping this will encourage the crocuses that I know are out there straining against two layers of frozen snow!


Launch

Crocuses are rocketing
            inch by inch
                   out of the crumbled earth

the yellows aim for the sun
the purples push          toward deep space

         and inside
little astronauts in orange suits
    cock their ruffled helmets
                                toward spring

Heidi Mordhorst
all rights reserved

And here is the collection of -CH words, one muscular verb for eaCH weekday of MarCH, that I'll be using to enriCH my little patCH of the Kidlitosphere with as muCH poetry as I can.  It should be a cinCh, but if I find I'm parCHed of poems and miss a day, then ouCH--but I'll reaCH in and try again.   Don't believe me?  Just watCH!

Forward...MarCH CHallenge: Dates and Words

2 march
3 stretch
4 twitch
5 punch
6 fetch

 9 preach
10 sketch
11 smooch
12 pitch
13 arch

16 inch
17 lurch
18 botch
19 lunch
20 hatch

23 clutch
24 crouch
25 snatch
26 perch
27 quench

8 comments:

  1. I've launched, if you will, a new calendar to fill in. Some of the poems, I can tell, won't be written with a straight face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I've named this the "Ch-ch-challenge!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8

    And now I'm stuck listening to Bowie on YouTube for the rest of the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great poem to start with -- love it! "Ruffled helmets" !

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite Bowie tunes, Diane! Welcome to the strange ch-ch-challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tabatha--this is one of my favorites from Squeeze because I remember so well the moment and experience of writing it. (The weather was different that year for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, what a wonderful poem that offers us the hope of spring in the midst of winter. I have an offering for the first ch poem Ch-ch-challenge. I am not sure where to send it so let me go back into your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!